My Dad took me to the airport on "one of the most beautiful drives". It was fine. Chester was happy even though I left him. That's good. It was very nice of Ann to come up and say bye. She helped me inside with my bags and everything. It wasn't until I was through security that everything really hit. A room full of strangers looking at me, me thinking about everything I am leaving and that this is really it. I am moving. Not just a short trip like everyone else.
I quickly
made my way to my mother's plane's gate but the door was shut and plane was
leaving. I walked away disappointed and not wanting to be around all
these people watching preseason MNF and all the usual impersonal traveling
attitudes. I walked to a quiet window and stood looking out at the
sunset. My Mom appeared! It was great.
In the air, I remember it was an eerily beautiful evening with an orange glow low on ground and continuous blue clouds higher. Could just make out the ground. A nice time for leaving.
Many emotions- no reason to be sad, but hard to be super excited. Just something I want to do. That's how I would describe it. I've known for a long time that this would come. And I tried not to think about it too much. I really am going in blind.
And like Christoph the planner says, you can prepare but there's no way to be prepared. I did all I could or most of what I wanted to do. Had some great times. The last few years were some of the best and worst of my life. I will miss everyone for sure.
But I look forward to seeing my
sisters now. And my nieces will
bring smiles. And hopes.
I told both my parents in the last few minutes of seeing them that I felt packing prepared but not mentally for language and work and all the differences that I am now. Oh well. Meaning all is well. I will figure it out. At some point I will become very motivated to go there and try hard in all aspects of life Amory Blaine would deem important and some he wouldn't. For now though I will chill and enjoy the ride to our Nation's Capital.

No comments:
Post a Comment